Wednesday 15 February 2017

Barbara Yung's letters part 4: UWS & FD 1984

The United We Stand ceremony (Mrs Lee Hung-kam was standing next to Barbara,
and Michael was slightly behind Barbara), from Rob's website

Apologies for the slow update. I just returned from a holiday last weekend and had to readjust to the hot weather here so I've been a bit sluggish. Happy Valentine's Day for you all, belatedly for those in Australasia and Europe, but still within the day for friends in the American continent. I've actually been writing a post for V-day, but I haven't finished it. Hence this post in lieu:  a letter from Barbara to her UK family, containing Fearless Duo 1984 and United We Stand 1984. 

In her only letter containing UWS and FD, Barbara also mentioned a 10 days tour with Michael on 15 May, a day after UWS was aired (and a year before her death...). Not sure where the tour was, was it in Malaysia or Singapore? I need to look into this later. Also we learn that Shela (Barbara's aunt now, now that Shela has married Barbara's uncle) had given birth to a baby (Andrew Chan). In June 1984, Barbara and Kent Tong went to UK to visit her family. Afterwards, directly she filmed Chor Lau Heung with Michael as described in her June 1984 letter (seems to be dated 22 June 1984). 




Click Rob's site to access Barbara's UK holiday with Kent in June 1984. Note that Mrs Liu Ming Yee (Barbara's mother) died on 17 January 2017. Her cremation will be on 23 February 2017. Click here for more news...


May 1984 (date unknown, but I think it's 12 or 13 May 1984)

Shela (it seems), Barbara, baby Andrew Chan, Kent and Barbara's mother (from Rob's site)


Dear Mommy, Uncle, Shela:

It's so exciting to hear the baby birth, everybody I told are happy for you. I don't know what to buy to congratulate you, only buy these three "Family happiness" to you, wish you happy. I like the most the toy is that boy doll Shela carried on the back, and the boy wore a straw hat, does he like Uncle? Somewhat foolish, just like a FISHER MAN, HAHA! You cab hardly deny it.

The baby must have much hair now, however, does he look like Uncle? Most importantly, hope he won't be silly like you, that'll be okay. He'd better like me, his Aunty who is bright! ( Barbara may mistake the generation between the baby and her, actually she and the baby are in same generation, she is sister of the baby, not his Aunty) I believe you must expect much on the baby just like you expected on me ever, even I begin to worry about him.

I haven't got free time to buy mother card, so I sent a self made card to Mom. It's an exclusive card of the world, so it's unique. The photo is the look of one of the role of twins girl of "United We Stand 1984". And some dry mango for you also with the video tape of "The Fearless Duo 1984". My new drama will be broadcasted on 14th May, then you can watch. I'll attend a stage show for ten days with Michael Miu on 15th May. I just have phone call with Ah-gyun, haven't seen Miss Ng and surrogate Mother because I was busy these days. I'll take care of myself, don't miss me. I clipped photos of my room on all weekly, is it good? Alas, I didn't find two others, I'll send you next time, okay? It's too late, I'm tired to write. Wish you all keep well, Mum, take good care of yourself.

Please give my regards to Daddy

Wish him good health and prosperous in business

Baby Daughter

(translated by Ben)



親愛的媽咪、舅舅、Shela


聽見小寶寶的誕生真是為之一振,告訴眾人,大家都為你而開心,不知買什麼來祝賀你們,只有買了這三個全家福,祝你們幸福快樂,我最喜歡那個玩具(SHELA)背著的男娃娃,還有,那個帶草帽的男童,你說似不似亞舅呢?傻傻地,又像FISHER MAN,哈哈!你唔想認都唔得啦!相信小寶貝已有很多頭髮,究竟他似否亞舅呢?最緊要不要像你那樣--傻傻地,就好了,一定大後要像佢亞姨我啦(哈哈)--醒目!!相信你們又像當日寄予在我身上的期望放在小寶身上,真是連我也為他緊張起來

今年沒空去買母親咭,只有送上一張自製的咭送給母親你,這張咭真是全世界得一張,會是更珍貴的,相中是我做"生銹橋王"孖女劇中之一個造形,內還寄些(芒果乾給你吃,和"天師執位"的錄影帶)我的新劇將在五月十四號推出,到時又有得睇了,十五號我便和亞苗去登台十天回來,因近日忙都冇見吾姑娘和代母,只有和亞娟通電話,一切我會小心,請不要掛念,我剪下了一切週刊影我家居的相,好看嗎?唉,有兩本我未找到,下次再寄給你,好嗎?夜了,很累不再寫。再遙祝你們身心安康,媽咪要多多保重。

請問候老豆
祝他身體健康,生意興隆


囡囡 上

No comments: